iosh

oschcr

CHAS Accredited logo

smas

QA RC logo 0906856 web

BEACONRISK BLOG

Keep up to date with all the latest news

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login
    Login Login form

Company fined after worker left injured

Posted by on
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 289
  • 0 Comments
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print

A meat production company has today been fined for safety breaches after a worker was injured whilst adjusting storage racking.

Luton Crown Court heard how a York House (Meat Products) Limited employee was instructed to adjust the height of shelves on storage racking with the assistance of co-workers. To enable them to reposition the top shelves of the racking the workers climbed up onto one of the lower crossbars which gave way underneath them.

One of the workers fell, hitting his head on the racking before landing on the floor. The dislodged crossbar fell from a height of 3.2m, hitting the employee on the back of the head and shoulders. The injured individual suffered soft tissue damage to his right shoulder and required physiotherapy for several months. He was also unable to work for two months.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident, which occurred on 12 April 2016, found the company had failed to adequately manage the risks associated with working at height. Employees were not aware of the dangers associated with climbing storage racking and no safe system of work was in place.

York House (Meat Products) Limited of Shannon Place, Potton, Bedford, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 4(1) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005. The company was fined £90,000 and ordered to pay costs of £20,567.88.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Emma Page said: “This incident could have been prevented had York House Meat Products provided a risk assessment or a safe system of work for the task in hand. Employees should be made aware of the risks associated with climbing storage racking.”

Last modified on
0

Comments

  • No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment

Leave your comment

Guest
Guest Friday, 16 November 2018

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Request a call back Give us your phone number and we'll call you!
The Name is required
The Phone is required
Thank you. We have got your request. We will contact you as soon as possible.