iosh

oschcr

CHAS Accredited logo

smas

QA RC logo 0906856 web

BEACONRISK BLOG

Keep up to date with all the latest news

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login
    Login Login form

Pembrokeshire man sentenced after worker seriously injured

Posted by on
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 150
  • 0 Comments
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print

A man has been sentenced to 18 weeks in prison after a worker received serious injuries from an electric shock.

Swansea Crown Court heard that, on 12 March 2014, a worker, under instruction from George Jones, sustained serious injuries whilst plugging a tyre stripping machine into a wall socket. The incident, which took place at Carew Cars, Carew Airfield, Pembrokeshire, could easily have led to a fatality.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the electrical installation at the unit in Carew Airfield operated by George Jones as part of his scrap metal business was unsafe and was more suited to a domestic premise. The socket in use was in poor condition with exposed wires. The roof of the building had holes in it and there was evidence of water ingress on the wall behind the socket which contributed to the incident.

George William Edward Jones of Strawberry Fields, Pembrokeshire pleaded guilty to breaching Section 4 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison to run concurrently with his existing sentence.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Anne Marie Orrells said: “This case highlights the importance of regular proactive maintenance and inspection of work equipment, including electrical installations, to ensure that they do not deteriorate to the extent that it puts people at risk.

“In this case, George Jones failed to effectively maintain equipment and it could have resulted in a fatal injury.”

Last modified on
0

Comments

  • No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment

Leave your comment

Guest
Guest Friday, 16 November 2018

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Request a call back Give us your phone number and we'll call you!
The Name is required
The Phone is required
Thank you. We have got your request. We will contact you as soon as possible.